Wednesday, September 19, 2018

It's Called The Vanity Press

“Hugh Grant!”

I had barely gotten “do you know who I look like to some?” out, when he thrust his hand towards me and said: “Don’t! I know who!....”

That was a brief conversation with a client after I brought up the subject by saying, “you bear a faint resemblance to Ben Affleck” His answer: “You think so?”

He said he had never heard that before.

An acquaintance of mine told me she gets “Alanis Morissette” and a lot of looks when she walks through Toronto’s Yorkville neighbourhood.

So that’s why people look at me when I walk through Yorkville during the Toronto International Film Festival. I’ve long thought it was because I bear a strong resemblance to a stock drug-past “old” rock star.

If only I had Hugh Grant’s charms….


2 comments:

Greg Woods said...

Yeah, I see that, plus a little Richard E. Grant, and a dash of Chris Mitchum. Hugh Grant's got nothing on you baby, just stay out of parking lots.

Simon St. Laurent said...

When I was younger people would tell me I looked like Paul McCartney. I didn't think too much about it until a few years ago when I watched a documentary; there was a clip of McCartney and George Martin sitting at a mixing console during the "Give My Regards to Broad Street" recordings. A chill: I thought it was me sitting beside Sir George. ("The hair!")