Saturday, May 13, 2017

What Films Made You Cry?

Peter Howell, a film critic with the Toronto Star newspaper, has a piece in today's issue about movies that have made him cry. This story is but one in a series of articles by different Star writers; it's his turn to admit: The movies that make me cry: Howell

One movie has made me cry: Cinema Paradiso

But many movies have made me cry for making me kiss my hard-earned money goodbye....

The first time I saw Cinema Paradiso was on an Air Canada flight but I did not enjoy it, probably because I was enjoying a headache. (It must have been the bitter I consumed in London, England, shortly before the flight.)

Weeks later the Bloor Cinema here in Toronto played Paradiso. I gave it a better shot. For some reason the picture resonated with me. By about two-thirds the way in I was blubbering like a baby. "What is happening to me? I am a Vulcan. I am in control of my emotions!"

A friend of mine kidded me minutes after we saw The Joy Luck Club. The party of people I was with all said they cried during the film. My friend Donald had one answer to explain my malady: "You're a cold fish, Si."

Maybe I am.

As the end credits began to roll on my tear duct tickler, I decided to make a move for the exit. Figures. A young woman about ten years my junior was standing there. As I floated past she gave me a look of: "Looks like that guy enjoyed the movie." What was she doing standing there?

Otherwise I don't cry at movies. However, I may well up....


4 comments:

DonaldAR said...

Roberto Benigni's "La vita è bella" (Life is Beautiful). A couple of years after it was released, with the whole young family. Back when I was a a less emotionally scarred, hopeless romantic. Now I am old, and cry at just about everything. Sitcoms. Commercials, even.
Did I say "cold fish?" I believe I may have been jesting. I perhaps should have said: You keep your feelings guarded. Like Fort Knox keeps gold guarded. ;)

Simon St. Laurent said...

... And my efficient Ministry of Propaganda.

Thanks for your notes!

By the way, I cry at how bad Toronto-produced television commercials are....

Tibor said...

I'm a big softie that way...but I found it interesting you gave the movie a second chance. I never do that.

Simon St. Laurent said...

The screening conditions the first time around were not optimal.

I've given "Blade Runner" two more chances....