Sunday, May 28, 2017

Star Wars: A Book of Celebration

How Star Wars Conquered the Universe
- The Past, Present, and Future
of a Multibillion Dollar Franchise
(Chris Taylor - Basic Books - 2014)

My continuing Star Wars celebration took a turn this weekend when I stumbled upon a book that I never knew existed. It's a good read so far even though there are the expected factual errors within the pages; well, about the thirty pages I've absorbed thus far. For instance, production on the movie serials -- from companies like Universal, Columbia, and Republic -- was not "stopped" during World War 2. (Eventually the serials became victims of ever increasing production inflation. And when television took hold in the early 1950s, its own regular series' provided the same thing for free at home.)

The good news for me is that I am hardly a Star Wars fanatic, so any errors in details of franchise arcanum will no doubt zoom by me like a rebel blockade runner.....


No comments: