Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Shoot the Puck Over the Glass!

This year I'm actually watching some NHL playoff games. And I'm cheering for no one in particular. (I guess I've been waiting for the Toronto Maple Leafs to make an appearance. Where are they?)

I'm watching Game 6 between the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Washington Capitals:

The Pens lead the series 3 games to 2. In the last half of the third period of regulation time they took three "delay of game" penalties. This variety is where a defending player inadvertently lifts/shoots the puck over the glass, done in valid desperation to clear the offensive threat. There is no way a team should be penalized for a legitimate move, unless it's obvious the offending player shoots the puck to get a whistle.

They, the Penguins, got three of these special-of-the-day penalties in rapid succession. So rapid in succession that there was some overlap: Two man advantage, is the term.

I've never seen that happen before; and it's a rule I cannot stand. I've hated it for years.

The Penguins were up 3 goals to 2 before they were blessed with that crazy NHL rule. It was only a matter of time before the Capitals tied the game.

Here's to overtime....

No comments: