Sunday, February 21, 2016

Toronto City Garbage Striking Images 2009




Back in the summer of 2009 we Torontonians, fiercely proud denizens of the mighty Republic of Toronto, were subjected to a city workers' strike; one which affected garbage removal (the domain of "outside" workers). I'm all for workers' rights, fair wages, etc., but it's funny how overflowing garbage, mixed with the heat of the season, makes one forget about certain issues.

I snapped the pictures above, in front of the TTC's "Spadina" subway station, when the strike was in its infancy. It got a lot worse. (For some reason I took no more photographs of the event. I guess I was afraid to approach mounds of waste.)

On Friday a tentative deal was struck for outside workers, which means the city may be spared a repeat of 2009.. Ongoing negotiations with "inside" workers hopefully will resolve positively before the deadline of 12:01 a.m., Monday.

No comments: